- Rinse Bread Machine with hot tap water ( I don’t bother)
- 1 ¼ cup warm water
- 2 TBS honey
- ¼ cup canola/veg.oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 TBS sugar
- 5 ¼ cup flour (I use 4 cups King Arthur Bread Flour, 1 ¼ White Whole Wheat King Arthur Flour)
- 3.5 rapid rise yeast ( in well in flour) jar kind
- Put everything in the bread machine in this order.
- Make well on top for yeast.
- Put machine on dough mode ( #10 on my machine, check your booklet)
- After a few minutes throw in a handful of yellow raisins if you like
- After machine finishes dough mode ( about an hour and twenty minutes), put on floured cookie sheet (recipe makes enough for two cookie sheets, one medium Challah on each)
- Divide in two for two challahs- you can also make twisted rolls in a round cake pan if you like. Put 7 around and one in the middle- make a rope and tie a small knot for each one
- Or braid the challah- using three or four strands. I make two medium ones with this recipe.
- Cover the challah with a kitchen towel- put in oven with the light on no heat for about an hour
- After it rises, brush with beaten egg- sprinkle sesame seeds if you like
Bake in 350 oven until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. About a half an hour. Sometimes needs more time…
Enjoy and have a wonderful Shabbat with the aroma and homemade delight of a great Challah!
Is the yeast supposed to be 3.5 teaspoons? (there isn’t a measurement)
Cantor Debbie Katchko-Gray says
Yes sorry 3.5 teaspoons!